If you want to have a website of your own for any kind of purpose, whether that website may be for blogging, a project, your portfolio, a business, a freelancing service, etc. You can now build a website for free. Yes, that’s right. You can now create a website of your own that is totally free of charge.
Nowadays, you can create a free website using one simple tool: A website builder.
There are so many website builders out there all of which have similar features so if you are planning to get a website, you should first ask yourself: Should I purchase a paid package which can get me all the benefits of a website? Or should I just create my website with their free plan?
Is creating a free website worth it? These are the pros and cons you should know:
- Completely free. There are no hidden charges when you get a free website using a website builder.
- The basic features are enough to start a full working website. You can build a full website just using their basic features and you can go online as soon as possible.
- Build a free website with site builders are quick and easy. No need to know how to code or how to program which makes them perfect for beginners. You do not need to be a tech wiz either!
- Website hosting, premade basic site templates, and storage space are all provided for.
- You do not get a custom domain name. Your site URL will be patterned after the website builder’s domain name (example: username.websitebuilder.com and not username.com)
- Plugins and widgets are limited. There are a limited number of website features you can install on your website.
- Premium website templates are not available. If you are the kind who wants to have a wide variety of site designs to choose from, you might find yourself limited if you go with a free website plan.
- Smaller storage space. Compared to a paid package, a free website gets you limited storage space for your website. This means less files can be uploaded on your website.
What Do You Need in a Website
Now that you have weighed out the pros and cons of getting a free website, you have to consider your needs. You may refer to these question guide when it comes to pondering over what you really need for your website.
Do you need a website in order to look professional and credible?
If the answer is yes, you should purchase a paid package instead of getting a free website. A paid package will get you a custom domain address for your website. These custom domains are the following: .com, .net, .org, .de, and more.
With a free website, you will not get a custom domain and your website address will be follow your website builder’s URL.
Do you need a simple website for your a school project or just to promote a passion project of yours?
If all you need is a simple website for a school project or a passion project of yours, getting a free website is more likely to suit your needs since it can provide you basic features to showcase your school project or passion project.
Do you want to have your own blog?
It depends what kind of blog you want to have. If you want to have a journal-like blog where you can write down your everyday thoughts, musings, and everyday life which are mainly intended for yourself and not for a wide audience, you can just get the free website plan and get your website setup in no time!
However, if you want a blog where the main purpose is to write articles which can be of value to other people, if you want to monetize your blog articles and make an income from a blog, it is best to get the paid package of a website.
Do you just need a temporary website?
If you just need a website for temporary use, perhaps to promote an event or a product for a limited time period, then it’s best to just go with a free website. If you do not have any intentions of long website usage, you do not need to invest in a full package website.
Where to Create a Free Website
You might be wondering where to create a free website of your own. One of my favorite website builders is the hPage.com website builder where you can build a free website. I love how their platform is very easy to use and I highly recommend everyone to check it out.